BeGroovy Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2017, 03:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the BeGroovy Forums. Let us know what you think of the Haiku Alpha 4.1 release.
35809 Posts in 5215 Topics by 289 Members
Latest Member: macsociety
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  BeGroovy Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  Haiku & BeOS Discussion (Moderators: Deej, Euan Kirkhope (UK), Chinasaur, Cougar)
| | |-+  Slow News Decade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slow News Decade  (Read 592 times)
Euan Kirkhope (UK)
Global Moderator
Addicted to Groove

« on: June 18, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »

its been a bit slow in Haiku world these last 10 years.  Sad

I must confess I lost all hope around the time of the package manager debacle.

Still we're not far from Begroovy's 20 anniversary!

Statements contained in this post that are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements".
Hardware Spec Here
Deej
Administrator
Addicted to Groove

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »

Euan,

I know what you mean.  I moved to Mac several years back, and pretty much just moved on from BeOS/Haiku.  Although, if I ever win the Powerball lottery (suppose I would need to buy tickets as a pre-req for that), the Haiku org could probably expect a huge donation to kick start it big-time.  Razz

I still leave the site up... although I don't know for how much longer.  Historical relevance seems to have gone out the window...

Good to hear from you though - hope all is well in your world!

Deej
NoBeForMe
Groovin' in Style

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:22 AM »

In some ways BeOS / Haiku fans are still better off than the Amigans.

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition came out in 2014. They have two new AmigaOne series machines supposedly coming on sale any time now. They still have a public annual show (AmiWest in California) and so it looks superficially as though things are pretty good for them.

But beneath the surface it's an ugly mess. AmigaOne hardware is dependent on desktop-class PowerPC processors. But since Apple switched to Intel (ten years ago, though preparations had begun long before that) there's no mass market for those and thus nobody making them. So a lot of squinting is used to find alternatives that kinda, sorta, can be used for a desktop. Chips with a non-standard FPU, or weird bus designs are selected and then the consequences visited on people already paying a lot more than for a similar PC five years earlier. Short runs of weird hardware, sold by sketchy part-time businesses lead to a whole bunch of extra trouble beyond what you'd always expect for a niche product.

Software is worse. The story familiar to Be fans of too few people trying to do too many jobs is there, but also something much worse. Key people working on AmigaOS are incompetent. With talent so scarce it's not done to say "You're hopeless, go make a Solitaire clone or something" and so gradually more of the system is maintained by people who ought not to be allowed outside unsupervised, never mind writing an OS. Many years ago, with multi-processor PCs still a fairly new phenomenon some of these people breezily declared that a multi-processor Amiga system was easy, they'd already figured out how to do it, they just didn't need to right now. Don't worry though, all the design decisions are made, it'll be ready to go whenever the Amiga needs it. Those who had some idea how the Amiga system works were, to say the least, sceptical, but they were shouted down.

And then of course everything went multi-core. Your phone is probably at least dual-core. Even the scavenged PowerPC CPUs for new Amigas were multi-core. Support was duly announced, to be delivered in Amiga OS 4.2 in the summer of 2010. "People said it was impossible" trumpeted the team's manager. And they did say that, for obvious reasons. Release dates were pushed back, status updates that said basically "Everything apart from actually making it work is done" were written, more release dates were pushed back. For a while there was an attempt to quietly walk the whole multi-core support idea back. At one AmiWest, buried in a slide deck there was an idea floated, maybe AmigaOS 4.2 won't have multi-core support after all, couldn't it be in a later version instead? Fans were stubborn, this was the whole point of AmigaOS 4.2, why delay the key feature? Nobody wanted to say "Because it doesn't work, it won't ever work" and that's how they arrived at the naming AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition with its implied promise that OS 4.2 must be coming soon. Two years later "Final Edition" seems like a mistake again. What do you call the edition after the final one ? "Revenge of the Final Edition" ? "Son of Final Edition" ?
altp
Administrator
Addicted to Groove

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »

I'm still looking for a BeOS 5 disk. I lost mine in my last move :-/

There is one up on ebay now for $350. yikes!

BeOS was always a niche OS. At this point, except for nostalgia, there is really no reason to even try to get Haiku up and running. I'd still love to get a hold of a BeBox, just to add to my collection and have available to mess with ... but the people that have them don't seem to want to part with them (for obvious reasons).

Haiku was a great idea, unfortunately it lost momentum. Just throwing money at it won't fix it. You would need to put together a team of people that are passionate about developing an operating system that most people don't know even existed and far fewer will ever look at again.
MYOB
Global Moderator
Addicted to Groove

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »

As you've already paid for it and the resellers who had stock have sold out, you're not really harming anyone just burning an image if you want it to use it. If its for nostalgia purposes they do turn up cheaper.

The package management thing has almost settled down in Haiku although I still think its vastly breaking from any concept of simplicity. People who got seriously annoyed about it breaking binary builds that they had been told would be broken mystifies me though.

New job has me nearly entirely working over RDP or ssh to the point that I'm considering using the third monitor on my work desk for a Haiku box to see if its workable. Previous job I tried but was stymied by how bad the OWA client was on older Exchange in non-IE browsers; although come to think of it I've not checked the new one in Web+ either. If I can't use a system day to day my interest in it wanes hideously and what little I can bring to it vanishes - when I was last productive - doing VLC maintenance etc - BeOS BONE was still pretty usable.

Busy Running Out Of Time
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: